Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Came across this top story in Fiji times titled: Young Fijians fill our prisons
You can read it here [link]

After reading this article, I am reminded of another, which I believe most are familiar with. It is of NASA and Russian Space Agency (RSA).

In the bid to reach the moon, NASA and RSA invested a lot or money and research, so much so, that even pens were catered for.

Since there is very little gravity near the moons surface, it was anticipated that pens wouldn't work. So NASA spent 10 million dollars to develop a pump actioned pen, that could write on any material know to man, in whatever direction. Excellent you might say.

The Russians however, used a pencil.

Whats the moral? You should focus more on the problem rather than on the solution. The problem isnt "81% Fijians in prison". The problem is what drives them to the prison.

So, altering law to get them out of jail wont help one bit. It will only make harder criminals defiant. Its time to look at the social structures and see why they feel the need for crime in first place. I wish I could write more, but I know how we (even me) hate such long posts!

No comments: